Monday, July 14, 2008

I love LA


It took a while. Maybe 18 years and then a break and then one more...but I officially love LA. I love the weather and how its always great. Its not a lie, it is always great. I love what I can do here. The secret places that I know about. My favorite hang outs and that 89 percent of the time I know something cool to do.

Here's my tips on loving LA:

1. Research. I know its annoying but sites like yelp, metromix, dailycandy and the LA Times Calendar Events page can direct you to cool, free events that mean you days aren't spent following the cast of the Hills to every hip location in the city.

2. Explore via foot or bike. Avoid cars. Cars are the death of LA. Its everyone's major complaint about the city and I would have to agree. On my bike or walking to the bus, I see the city. I notice people, get distracted by events and notice cool stores or restaurants. One day get out of your car and grab a bus.

3. Avoid any thing claiming itself as hip. Seriously, if its a club, I don't go. If its a restaurant that has been featured in a People's magazine, I don't go. The best parts of LA are not visited by celebrities and that makes it tolerable for us.

Alright those are three tips that should make you love LA a little more. I can understand the frustration. But the city is great. Once you know what you are doing.

No comments: