Friday, September 26, 2008

Planes and Radiotaxis

I began traveling yesterday morning at 4 am after staying up all night packing and panic-ing. Then spent seven hours in the Washington DC airport, where I discussed politics and drank beers with a sax player named Josh.

Then I boarded my first international flight in over two years. I missed them: individual TVs, safety messages in two languages and meals! I spent most of the flight sleeping and watching the tail end of movies. Halfway through, we had so much turbulence that I thought we were going to die. I made my peace and went back to sleep only to find us landing in Buenos Aires.

Marcy met me at the airport. She is unfortunately sick as sick can be with a mouth full of cold sores. Not great for sleeping next to or depending on her to translate for me. We were supposed to leave for the south tomorrow but we have delayed the trip until Sunday. When I hope she will be better, or else, I'll be lonely on our hikes.

Her family is amazing. They are housing me and sweet and friendly and trying to teach me Spanish. I have never wanted to know Spanish more. It is so frustrating because I can understand so much. But I can barely speak. I'm limited to si, no, gracis and a few other words.

Argentina and I instantly hit it off. Its better than Europe. I wish I could understand more. They have Kinder eggs so I'm happy.

The drivers are crazy. The traffic lights go from red to yellow then green. How can you not want to reve your engine and speed after a countdown like that. The people are mainly friendly although I've been to shy to do more than say Hello.

2 comments:

Ned Wright said...

My last trip to EZE I got bumped to business class for nothing. This was July 2003 and business was really slow.

So what about the radiotaxis?

Diana said...

Radiotaxis are the official taxi of Buenos Aires. We have been taking them a lot because Marcy is sick. They are pretty cheap especially when Catherine is here and we are spliting them three ways.

Lucky duck with the Business Class.