Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Obama

I spent election night in Buenos Aires which may have been the best decision of my life. First of all, I had ran into Sam Widdoes from Windward's middle school days two days before hand and he led us to a bar where the American population of Buenos Aires was hanging out. The place was packed and I started sweating as soon as I entered the place. The most overwhelming featuring - everyone was cheering for Obama.

It makes sense. American travelers are few and far between and most of them are liberal. So of course this bar was filled with Obama supporters. And I have to admit, it was nice to boo at McCain and cheer for Obama and fuck the "vote for whomever you believe"bullshit.

So Marcy, Sam, and I spent the evening drinking beers and explaining the electorail process to a brit named Sophie and then it was announced: OBAMA WAS THE PRESIDENT ELECT!!!!!

Champagne and beer was sprayed on me and everywhere. People were screaming and I started to cry. I gave my champagne to a man who looked so in shock, he needed whiskey and not champagne.

We listened to McCain's speak. No longer was he the villain of this election but a proud supporter. A noble loser. I have always admired what he has done. I blame the Republican party for what he was turned into.

Then Obama spoke. And I cried. And the man who I gave my champagne to, I should mention he was a black man studying law, held me. Yes. I can't be the stereotypical but wonderful moment I had. Being held by a man I just met while I cried in a bar in Buenos Aires for a man who I suddenly believe could change the world.

For the first time, I feel proud to chant U. S. A. For the longest time, especially while traveling, I've been embarrassed that I have nothing to call home but the United States. But tonight I was proud to be American. I feel like good things are coming.

My mom told be to come home to America (the North One) and I am excited to do so.


Fuck I feel like a Unicef commercial.

No comments: